Glen G. McGorty is a partner in Crowell & Moring's New York office and a member of the White Collar & Regulatory Enforcement practice group as well as the firm's Litigation and Trial Department and its Regulatory Department. Glen is an experienced trial lawyer who served almost 15 years as a federal prosecutor in the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York (SDNY) and the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) in Washington, D.C.
Glen represents corporate entities and individuals in federal and state criminal and regulatory matters and in investigations conducted by grand juries, congressional committees, independent and special counsel, and international, federal, and state law enforcement and regulatory agencies. Glen has also led internal investigations for clients including an international financial institution, a major defense contractor, and a multinational engineering conglomerate.
Most recently, Glen was appointed by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York to serve as the Independent Monitor of the New York City District Council of the United Brotherhood of Carpenters and its Benefit Funds.
- Multiple employees of an international financial institution in a multinational foreign currency exchange investigation.
- A pool of employees at a publicly traded pharmaceutical company in connection with a federal criminal and civil health care fraud investigation.
- An international financial institution on several matters, including an internal investigation into several customers' alleged money laundering activities.
- A global engineering company in an internal investigation of bid-rigging and other antitrust allegations.
- A national defense contractor in an internal investigation regarding deviation from government contract design specifications.
- A national health care services corporation in connection with multiple state and federal False Claims Act investigations.
- A health care executive in a criminal RICO, fraud, and money laundering prosecution in the SDNY.
- A managing director at an international financial institution in connection with a multinational Foreign Corrupt Practices Act investigation.
- A director at an international financial institution in connection with a FINRA inquiry related to an index valuation.
- A hedge fund trader in an SEC enforcement action and related DOJ criminal investigation into stock trading practices.
- Multiple employees of an international financial institution in an SEC investigation into residential mortgage-backed securities trading.
- A fixed-income trader in connection with a federal insider trading investigation conducted in the SDNY.
- A strategic financial analyst in connection with a federal accounting fraud investigation in the SDNY.
- A former hedge fund trader as a witness in a major federal insider trading trial in the SDNY.
- A former New York state official in a criminal public corruption investigation conducted in the SDNY.
- A vice president of an international energy conglomerate in an expense-related employment inquiry.
- An asset management hedge fund in connection with asset forfeiture claims and the victim fund remission process in the SDNY.
- An international private equity company in a civil litigation matter in the SDNY.
Glen joined Crowell & Moring after almost 15 years at the DOJ. During his career with the government, Glen prosecuted and supervised a wide range of significant high-profile cases, handling white collar matters such as securities fraud, public corruption, wire and mail fraud, money laundering, tax violations, insider trading, accounting fraud and options backdating cases, and other serious criminal cases, such as RICO enterprises, international narcotics trafficking, and violent crimes including kidnapping and murder.
While serving as an Assistant U.S. Attorney (AUSA) in the SDNY, Glen was lead counsel in 15 federal jury trials, and he briefed and argued over a dozen cases before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. He led numerous complex criminal investigations and prosecutions in virtually every sector of the office, including the SDNY's Securities and Commodities Fraud Task Force and International Narcotics Trafficking Unit. In addition, he served in several senior supervisory positions, managing the SDNY's Narcotics, Violent Crimes, and General Crimes Units, and the Criminal Division itself, where he assisted in the supervision of approximately 150 criminal prosecutors. Glen was appointed senior trial counsel in 2010 by U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara and was responsible for overseeing various matters in the SDNY's Public Corruption Unit, including the federal wiretap investigation and prosecution of New York State Senator Carl Kruger and his co-conspirators.
Before coming to the SDNY, Glen joined the DOJ through the Attorney General's Honors Program and served three and one-half years as a trial attorney in the Fraud Section of DOJ's Criminal Division in Washington, D.C., and as a Special Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Eastern District of Virginia (EDVA).
In 2007, Glen received the DOJ's Attorney General Award for Distinguished Service.
Glen has been a panelist and faculty member at bar association and industry conferences related to criminal investigations and prosecutions and federal criminal practice. He is an active member of the American Bar Association, the Federal Bar Council for the Second Circuit, the New York State Bar Association, and the New York City Bar Association, where he chairs the Criminal Justice subcommittee of the Federal Courts Committee.
Admitted to practice: New York, New Jersey, District of Columbia
- American Bar Association, Criminal Justice Section
- Federal Bar Council for the Second Circuit
- New York State Bar Association
- New York City Bar Association, Federal Courts Committee (co-chair of Criminal Justice subcommittee)
Speeches & Presentations
"This Year in Trade - Fall Update," Crowell & Moring Webinar
(October 8, 2015).
Presenters: Adelicia R. Cliffe, Paul Davies, Charles De Jager, Maria Alejandra (Jana) del-Cerro, Lindsay Denault, Frances P. Hadfield, Aaron Marx, Glen G. McGorty, James (J.J.) Saulino, and Alexander H. Schaefer.
Client Alerts & Newsletters
"This Month in International Trade - September 2015,"
International Trade Bulletin
(October 8, 2015).
Contacts: John B. Brew, Frances P. Hadfield, Edward Goetz, Cari N. Stinebower, Daniel Cannistra, Thomas A. Hanusik, Dr. Salomé Cisnal de Ugarte, Melissa Morris, Ian A. Laird, Glen G. McGorty, Charles De Jager, Tracy T. Huang, Paul Davies, David (Dj) Wolff, Jini Koh, James (J.J.) Saulino, Benjamin Blase Caryl.
"Avoiding Compliance Red Cards After the FIFA Scandal: Anti-Corruption Considerations for Sponsors and Sports Marketing Companies,"
Advertising & Product Risk Management Alert
(June 8, 2015).
Contacts: David Ervin, Christopher A. Cole, Glen G. McGorty, Stephen M. Byers, Jeff Severson.
In the News
Firm News & Announcements