Crowell & Moring represents corporations and individuals on Capitol Hill and in the courts, and the firm’s White Collar & Regulatory Enforcement and Government Affairs groups combine former senior congressional staffers and federal prosecutors who have run complex investigations and represented targets and witnesses of those investigations. Our team believes that it is critically important for clients to understand the unique dynamics of congressional investigations and their potential impact on federal criminal investigations. We work collaboratively to handle these issues from Capitol Hill to the courthouse door.
Congressional investigations often result in hearings where clients are compelled to testify, and Crowell & Moring’s attorneys and lobbyists have prepared clients for the intense experience of a congressional hearing by drafting written testimony and advising clients on how to respond to likely questions from committee members. We have helped clients with the substance and tone of their testimony to make the best impression possible with congressional investigators. Our team combines the invaluable perspectives gained through previous defense of companies and individuals before congressional investigative and oversight committees, together with previous service as committee counsel and advisors to senior congressional leaders and committee chairs.
Below are some representative engagements showing our experience with congressional investigations and preparation of testimony:
- Represented numerous government contractors in connection with congressional investigations of potential procurement fraud, contracting improprieties, or sanctions violations.
- Counseled large ACA health insurance exchange vendor during investigations by multiple congressional committees, including House Oversight and Government Reform Committee; House Energy & Commerce’s Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations; Senate Finance Committee; and Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee, including responses to multiple requests for information, and drafting testimony for oversight hearing, leading to no action against our client.
- Defense of Murray Energy Corp. and its Utah subsidiaries in multiple parallel congressional and inspector general investigations and a federal grand jury investigation concerning multiple fatality accident at Crandall Canyon Mine, which concluded with a misdemeanor plea and fine for the lowest corporate subdivision and no enforcement action against any company personnel.
- Represented private equity fund portfolio company in House Energy & Commerce investigation into Chinese environmental manufacturing issues with no consequence for client.
- Represented senior IRS official during investigations by Senate Finance Committee and House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, including depositions and live hearing testimony, concluding with no congressional or agency consequence for official.
- Represented former tax partner from AmLaw 50 law firm in tax shelter fraud investigations by Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations and Department of Justice, including live testimony before committee and response to grand jury subpoena, resulting in no consequence for attorney.
- Represented former senior staffer to Senator Ted Stevens (R-AL) in congressional probe relating to Alaska kickbacks investigation, resulting in no consequence to lobbyist.
- Represented former Greenberg Traurig lobbyist in criminal and congressional investigations relating to his role as a member of "Team Abramoff;" client avoided any criminal or civil charges or congressional consequence.
- Represented CEO in Senate Ethics investigation of U.S. Senator, resulting in no consequence for CEO.
- Represented former DOJ chief of staff in Senate Judiciary Committee investigation into White House United States Attorney firing scandal.
- Represented House Member’s chief of staff and other staffers in House Ethics Committee investigation with no consequence for staff.
- Assisted U.S. attorney general nominee in confirmation hearing preparation.
- Advised chairman of insurance company and assisted in preparation of his testimony before a House task force investigating money laundering and terrorism financing through arts and antiquities.