Mike Lieberman is a partner in Crowell & Moring's Commercial Litigation, Health Care, and White Collar & Regulatory Enforcement groups. He litigates complex matters in federal, state, and arbitral forums, with a particular focus on commercial health care disputes, class actions, e-discovery, and fraud and False Claims Act cases. Mike's clients include managed care companies, health benefit plans, clinical laboratories, government contractors, corporate and individual criminal defendants, and various other corporate commercial litigants.
Representative engagements include:
- Defending eight health insurance companies in multi-district litigation (MDL) class actions asserting nationwide and state antitrust claims.
- Securing the dismissal of contract claims against the third party administrator of a health plan in two consumer class actions.
- Representing a Fortune 50 health insurance company in arbitration and trial against major Maryland hospital systems regarding payment of claims.
- Representing a District of Columbia health plan in a multi-million dollar contract dispute regarding Medicaid payment methodologies.
- Defending a California health plan in arbitration with health care providers over Medicare Advantage payment amounts.
- Defending and securing dismissal of a securities fraud class action brought against a Fortune 500 financial services company.
- Representing a Class I railroad in a multi-district litigation (MDL) antitrust class action alleging a conspiracy to fix fuel surcharge prices.
- Defending antitrust charges in the Eastern District of Virginia against a seller of rocket engines.
- Defending and preventing the indictment of the CEO of a major government contractor in a Department of Justice investigation into alleged false claims submitted to the Department of Defense.
- Directing the investigation of alleged false claims submitted by a health plan to a state auditor, and facilitating responses to related government inquiries.
- Serving as class counsel for tens of thousands of black farmers who alleged discrimination by the U.S. Department of Agriculture in the administration of farm loan programs. Mike helped negotiate and implement a $1.25 billion settlement for the class—one of the largest civil rights judgments ever against the U.S. government.
Mike received his J.D. from Georgetown University in 2008 where he graduated magna cum laude and was admitted to the Order of the Coif. While at Georgetown, Mike served as a senior editor and board member for the Georgetown Law Journal. He also participated in the Georgetown Criminal Justice Clinic, where he received the Alan J. Goldstein Memorial Award for his "use of intelligence, creativity, and resourcefulness in defending criminal clients." Mike received his B.A. from Duke University in 2001 with a double major in public policy and economics and a minor in history.
Prior to joining Crowell & Moring, Mike worked as military legislative assistant to Congressman John M. Spratt, Jr. (D-SC), a senior member of the House Armed Services Committee. In that capacity, Mike advised the Congressman on policy areas including national defense, homeland security, energy, environment, and economic development. For his work, Mike received the Palmetto Patriot Award in 2006 for service to the state of South Carolina and the South Carolina National Guard.
Mike also served as a law clerk in the Federal Major Crimes Division of United States Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia.
Mike was recognized by Super Lawyers as a 2014, 2015, and 2016 "Rising Star" for Washington, D.C. in Civil Litigation Defense.
Mike is a member of the Virginia state bar and the D.C. bar. He is a board member of the D.C. Bar Association and a member of the committee revising the civil jury instructions for D.C. Superior Court. Mike also served two terms as the Chair of the Arlington County (VA) Democratic Committee.
Admitted to practice: District of Columbia, Virginia, U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, District of Columbia Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Superior Court, Supreme Court of Virginia, Circuit and District Courts in Virginia
Highlights, News & Knowledge
Speeches & Presentations
"Don’t Sign that Yet: Pitfalls to Avoid in Payor-Provider Contracting," Blue Cross Blue Shield Association's 2015 Blue National Summit, Phoenix, AZ
(April 21, 2015).
Presenters: Michael W. Lieberman, Todd D. Rosenberg, and Scott J. Moore.
"The Affordable Care Act‘s Aftermath: Litigation and Regulatory Issues," Harvard Health Law Society
(April 1, 2015).
Presenters: Michael W. Lieberman and Marisa Adelson.
"Sequestration Extended to 2025 in Federal Budget Deal," Crowell & Moring's Health Law Blog
(December 10, 2015).
Authors: Christopher Flynn, Peter Roan, Michael W. Lieberman, and Harsh P. Parikh.
"9th Circ. Closes More Doors On ACA Challenges," Law360
(October 10, 2014).
Co-Authors: Michael W. Lieberman and Harsh P. Parikh.
"U.S. Tax Court Approves Predictive Coding for Litigation Use," Crowell & Moring's E-Discovery Law Insights
(September 22, 2014).
Co-Authors: Michael W. Lieberman and Elizabeth A. Figueira.
"Ninth Circuit Rejects Challenges to Affordable Care Act's Individual Mandate and Independent Payment Advisory Board," Crowell & Moring's Health Law Blog
(September 5, 2014).
Co-Authors: Michael W. Lieberman and Harsh P. Parikh.
Client Alerts & Newsletters
"Impact of Supreme Court's Opinion Concerning Limits on Aggregate Campaign Contributions,"
(April 3, 2014).
Contact: Michael W. Lieberman
"Supreme Court Raises the Bar for Class Action Suits by Requiring Plaintiffs to Show a Specific Calculation of Damages for the Specific Theory of Harm for which a Class is Certified,"
Antitrust Law Alert
(March 28, 2013).
Contacts: Kathleen Taylor Sooy, Tracy A. Roman, Shari Ross Lahlou, Michael W. Lieberman
"The New Bounty Hunters: Congress Creates New Incentives to Report Securities and Commodities Fraud,"
White Collar Alert
(July 15, 2010).
Contacts: Michael W. Lieberman, Thomas A. Hanusik, Daniel L. Zelenko
In the News
Firm News & Announcements