Cyber on the Hill: Congressional Cybersecurity Oversight, Legislation & Initiatives for 2013
November 7, 2013
The Science & Technology Law (SciTech) Section’s Homeland Security Committee and Information Security Committee and the Public Contract Law (PCL) Section’s Cybersecurity, Privacy, and Data Protection Committee and Legislative Coordinating Committee are co-sponsoring a joint program focusing on the latest legislative oversight and policy initiatives relating to cybersecurity.
Congress faces an increasingly dynamic panorama of cybersecurity challenges. On one hand, the cyber threats continue to expand and escalate. Headlines include major attacks on U.S. critical infrastructure sectors, multi-billion-dollar technology thefts due to cyber espionage, huge losses from cybercrime, and the daily exposure of sensitive personal information in continuing data breaches. On the other hand, the policy options and legislative solutions have become increasingly complex as Congress seeks to balance competing needs, risks, and issues:
- Enhancing cybersecurity while protecting privacy;
- Promoting cloud computing efficiencies while assuring cybersecurity;
- Expanding public-private partnerships while limiting insider threats;
- Protecting critical infrastructure while maintaining private-sector flexibility.
- This panel of cyber experts from the Hill will discuss the emerging issues and latest developments on legislative oversight and initiatives concerning cybersecurity.
- Ellen Doneski (Staff Director, Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee)
- Matt Grote (Senior Professional Staff Member, Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee)
- Mitchell Kominsky (Counsel, House Oversight and Government Reform Committee)
- Heather Molino (Minority Staff Director, House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence)
- David Bodenheimer (Partner, Crowell & Moring LLP; Division Co-Chair (SciTech Security, Privacy, and Information Law); Committee Co-Chair (SciTech Homeland Security); & Committee Co-Chair (PCL Cybersecurity, Privacy, & Data Protection)
Crowell & Moring Participant(s):
For more information, please visit these areas: