November 8, 2012
The Capper-Volstead Conference:
New Antitrust Risks for Cooperatives and How to Protect Your Business in Uncertain Times
Crowell & Moring
1001 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Thursday, November 8, 2012
9:00 am - 3:00 pm EDT
(with a casual pre-event dinner Wednesday night November 7)
Crowell & Moring is pleased to announce its
Capper-Volstead Conference -- a one-day event for cooperatives, their members, marketing agents, and other entities that work with cooperatives, as well as the associations that represent them.
Recent government investigations and ongoing class action lawsuits may force all cooperatives to change the ways they do business. This conference will explain the key provisions of the Capper-Volstead Act and the protection it provides under the antitrust laws, what business conduct is called into question by these investigations and lawsuits, and what the likely outcomes will be. We will also go one step further, and discuss the proactive compliance that cooperatives and their members and business partners should undertake to ensure Capper-Volstead protection in the new environment of uncertainty.
As part of this discussion, Crowell will unveil the Crowell & Moring Capper-Volstead Roadmap©, a model compliance and audit plan for cooperatives and their members to use to protect themselves under Capper-Volstead. An invitation with the full conference agenda and details will follow as the date approaches.
Topics to be addressed include:
- Operating Under the Capper-Volstead Act: What is covered, what is safe, and what is being called into question.
- The Current Antitrust Lawsuits Against Cooperatives: Key points of dispute, and the business and legal implications of the Capper-Volstead lawsuits in the eggs, potatoes, mushrooms and dairy industries, as well as predictions for what the next targets will be.
- The Government as a Critical Component: What are the roles of the DOJ and the USDA, and how to successfully handle an investigation or enlist their assistance.
- Proactive Compliance: How are best-in-class cooperatives implementing Capper-Volstead compliance plans to mitigate antitrust risk?
- A Look into the Future: The Crowell & Moring Capper-Volstead Roadmap©, a model compliance and audit designed to provide a safe pathway for cooperatives and their members to avoid the new antitrust risks.
CLE Credit Pending
There is no fee to attend, but space is limited.
To request to register, please click here.
For additional information, please contact Sandra Charlton at firstname.lastname@example.org.