John Laird is a solicitor-advocate and associate in Crowell & Moring's London office, where he is a member of the International Dispute Resolution and Antitrust Recovery groups. John represents clients in both commercial and investment arbitration. In addition, his practice involves a wide variety of commercial litigation in the English High Court, including the pursuit and defence of competition claims. John has worked from both the Washington, D.C. and London offices of Crowell & Moring, initially as a paralegal and later training for admission as a solicitor. He is the winner of the 2011 ICSID Review Student Writing Competition.
Examples of recent commercial arbitration experience include:
- Representing a European company in CIArb arbitration against a South Asian government for breach of contract.
- Representing British Virgin Island companies against a Cypriot company for the repudiation of a shareholders' agreement.
- Representing a South American company in an ICC arbitration against a Caribbean government. Damages of $60 million were claimed for the repudiation of a shareholders' agreement following a change in government.
- Representing a South African mineral and mining company in an LCIA arbitration, claiming damages of $190 million.
- Advising an American hospitality company in two arbitrations regarding management disputes at European and Middle East hotels.
Examples of recent investment arbitration and related experience include:
- Advising a claimant in relation to an application for annulment of an ICSID award.
- Advising a client regarding the recognition and enforcement in the English courts of a foreign arbitration award made under the Energy Charter Treaty and UNCITRAL Rules.
- Advising an international hotel developer as claimant in a $600 million dispute under ICSID Rules.
- Advising a European construction and development consortium as claimant in an investment dispute under ICSID Rules.
Examples of recent English commercial and competition litigation experience include:
- Representing a party to Part 20 proceedings regarding a follow-on claim in the English High Court for losses arising from anti-competitive behavior in the air cargo industry.
- Representing an AIM-listed transportation company in the English High Court in relation to the repudiation of an operating contract.
- Advising a British public company regarding a cartel follow-on claim in the English High Court.
- Advising a group of companies in a cartel follow-on claim in the English High Court seeking £20 million damages for illegal price fixing across Europe.
- Advising on the recognition and enforcement of a series of New Jersey Court judgments in England and Wales.
Admitted as a Solicitor in England and Wales, Higher Rights of Audience
- LCIA Young International Arbitration Group
- Young ICCA
Speeches & Presentations
"Types of Awards and Dissenting Opinions," AIA Brussels Arbitration School, Brussels, Belgium
(October 20, 2016).
Presenter: John Laird.
"Investment Arbitration Masterclass," Brussels Diplomatic Academy, Vrije Universiteit Brussel
(September 21, 2016).
Presenters: Gordon McAllister and John Laird.
Client Alerts & Newsletters
"English High Court Rules Parliament Must Approve Brexit; Government Appeals to the Supreme Court,"
(November 4, 2016).
Contacts: Adrian Jones, John Laird, Gordon McAllister, Edward Norman
"English High Court Elects Not to Intervene Where Emergency Arbitral Procedures Are Available,"
International Dispute Resolution Alert
(October 19, 2016).
Contacts: Adrian Jones, John Laird, Edward Norman, Gordon McAllister
"This Month in International Trade — September 2016,"
International Trade Bulletin
(October 11, 2016).
Contacts: John B. Brew, Frances P. Hadfield, Edward Goetz, Adrian Jones, Ian A. Laird, Charles De Jager, John Laird, Gordon McAllister, Aaron Marx, Cari N. Stinebower, David (Dj) Wolff, Mariana Pendás, Daniel Cannistra, Alexander H. Schaefer, Robert L. LaFrankie, Benjamin Blase Caryl, Gail D. Zirkelbach, Jason M. Crawford, Paul Davies, Danie Beukman, Christopher Monahan
"Legal Considerations for the U.K.’s Investment and Trade Treaties After Brexit,"
(September 28, 2016).
Contacts: Adrian Jones, Ian A. Laird, Charles De Jager, John Laird
In the News
Firm News & Announcements