James R. Stuart, III, is a partner in Crowell & Moring's Corporate Group and a member of the firm's Management Board and Executive Committee.
Over the past 30 years, Jim has concentrated his practice on mergers, stock and asset acquisitions, joint ventures, and debt and equity financing transactions, including private placements, venture capital investments and secured credit facilities. He also has extensive experience negotiating and drafting a wide range of commercial and corporate contracts, including technology licensing, development and collaboration agreements, large scale IT hardware and software procurement agreements, management agreements, supply, distribution and manufacturing agreements, shareholder and LLC operating agreements, teaming, partnership and alliance agreements, and system integration and outsourcing arrangements.
Jim has represented public companies listed on the NYSE and NASDAQ, defense and government contractors, insurers, providers and other healthcare businesses, foreign governments, software, internet, and other "high tech" concerns, pharmaceutical and bio-tech companies, television stations, law and consulting firms, non-profit trade and professional associations and start-up and emerging businesses. Jim's practice has spanned across a wide range of business sectors, and he has particularly deep experience in the defense, government contracting, healthcare and telecommunications industries.
Representative acquisition and joint venture transactions Jim has handled:
- $480 million merger acquisition of a NASDAQ-listed government IT contractor by a foreign NYSE-listed company.
- $440 million stock acquisition of a health management company by a NYSE-listed insurance company.
- $90 million stock acquisition of a technology-focused, defense and intelligence contractor.
- $165 million merger acquisition of a medical diagnostic company by a NASDAQ corporation.
- Joint venture establishing a high-volume specialty pharmacy business between two NYSE-listed corporations.
- $82 million merger acquisition of a defense and government services contractor.
- $70 million asset sale of a munitions and defense countermeasures manufacturing business.
- $40 million stock sale of a government training and simulations company to a NYSE corporation.
- Acquisition of a mail pharmacy business and related joint venture between two NYSE corporations.
- $50 million asset sale of telecommunications firm to a NYSE corporation.
- $20 million merger of a silicones manufacturer with a subsidiary of a NYSE corporation.
- $17 million tax-free stock-for-asset acquisition of a news database company to a NASDAQ corporation.
- $11 million asset sale by non-profit trade association in the health-care industry to NYSE corporation.
- $28 million merger acquisition of a software development business by a B2B e-commerce internet company.
- $24 million asset sale by non-profit trade association in the entertainment industry.
- $25 million stock acquisition and joint venture by a NYSE corporation with a foreign fruit distribution company.
In addition, Mr. Stuart's financing experience includes the following:
- $1.8 billion structured financing involving the liquidation of an international bank.
- $50 million revolving credit facility by a major U.S. bank to a publicly traded real estate investment trust.
- $38 million secured term and revolving loan facility by a major U.S. bank to a non-profit corporation.
- $100 million private placement of preferred stock by an undersea, fiber optics company.
- $14 million acquisition by publicly-traded, UK corporation of a minority interest in a medical device company.
- $15 million preferred stock private placement by a B2B e-commerce and software business.
- $7 million preferred stock private placement by an Israeli bio-tech company.
- $7 million common stock and convertible debt private placement by health insurance underwriter and reinsurance company.
- $10 million private placement by a high-speed cargo ship company to public and private investors.
Mr. Stuart graduated first in his class from Carnegie-Mellon University in 1983, where he majored in Administration and Management Sciences and History. Mr. Stuart received his law degree, cum laude, from Harvard Law School in 1986. He has been recognized by clients and peers as a top lawyer in Chambers USA in the area of Corporate and Mergers & Acquisitions.
Admitted to practice: District of Columbia
Highlights, News & Knowledge
In the News
Firm News & Announcements