David M. Schnorrenberg is a partner in Crowell & Moring's Washington, D.C. office. His practice focuses on complex commercial litigation, particularly antitrust and intellectual property disputes, although he has considerable experience litigating in a variety of other substantive areas of the law, including securities, contracts, consumer protection, product liability, insurance coverage, civil rights and the First Amendment.
David has litigated in numerous venues throughout the United States, including federal and state courts, trial and appellate courts, arbitration panels, and administrative agencies. David has extensive experience in complex, multi-forum litigation, including large multi-district litigation (MDL) and class actions, as well as governmental enforcement proceedings. Among other things, he has:
- Defended a German printing press manufacturer from claims of patent infringement, while prosecuting its antitrust counterclaims based on fraud on the Patent Office and sham litigation.
- Defended a German automobile manufacturer against claims of patent infringement in proceedings before the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) under Section 337 of the Tariff Act of 1930, while simultaneously defending a parallel patent infringement action in federal court.
- Prosecuted an MDL price fixing case on behalf of over 100 mining companies.
- Defended a pharmaceutical manufacturer against antitrust claims in a federal MDL class action and related state court class actions.
- Defended a major U.S. airline at trial in an antitrust divestiture action brought by the United States Department of Justice under Section 7 of the Clayton Act.
- Prosecuted on behalf of a major telecommunications manufacturer copyright and trade secret cases relating to its proprietary software.
- Defeated class certification in a consumer protection action against a major telecommunications service provider in Maryland state court.
- Defended the Commission on Presidential Debates against alleged civil rights violations asserted by U.S. Presidential candidate Ralph Nader.
- Defended the Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Washington in a case involving First Amendment rights under the U.S. Constitution.
David was a Harlan Fisk Stone Scholar at Columbia University School of Law and an Articles Editor for the Columbia Human Rights Law Review. David is also a former editor of The Antitrust Litigator, a newsletter of the ABA Committee on Antitrust Litigation. He was a John Motley Morehead Scholar at the University of North Carolina, was elected to Phi Beta Kappa and graduated with honors. David is a member of the bars of the District of Columbia and the State of New York, as well as various federal district and appellate courts.
Admitted to practice: District of Columbia, New York
Highlights, News & Knowledge
"District of Columbia," Business Torts: A Fifty-State Guide, Wolters Kluwer Law & Business
Co-Authors: John L. Cuddihy, David M. Schnorrenberg, and Andrew H. Marks.
"Multi-District Litigation in Intellectual Property Disputes: Getting In, Getting Out, and Dealing With the MDL Panel," IP Litigator
Co-Authors: David M.Schnorrenberg and John L. Cuddihy.
"Will German Products Which Infringe U.S. Patents Be Barred From Continued Sales In The U.S.?" VPP-Rundbrief Nr. 1
Co-Authors: Jeffrey H. Howard, Werner Berg and David Schnorrenberg.
"Most Action in 50 Years," Global Competition Review
Co-Authors: Jeffrey H. Howard, David M. Schnorrenberg and Jeffrey Blumenfeld.
"District of Columbia," Business Torts: A Fifty-State Guide, Aspen
Co-Authors: David M. Schnorrenberg, Andrew H. Marks, and David K. Osei.
"Explosives Antitrust Litigation Continues," Crowell & Moring Mining Law Monitor
Co-Authors: Richard McMillan, Kent Gardiner and David M. Schnorrenberg.
"Standard of Review for Summary Judgment in Sherman Act § 1 Conspiracy Cases in the Fourth Circuit," The Antitrust Litigator
Author: David M. Schnorrenberg.
"Standard of Review of Summary Judgment in Sherman Act § 1 Conspiracy Cases in the D.C. Circuit," The Antitrust Litigator
Author: David M. Schnorrenberg.
Client Alerts & Newsletters
In the News
Firm News & Announcements