Nicholas James is a counsel in Crowell & Moring's Washington, D.C. office and is a member of the firm's Corporate Group. Nick's practice focuses on commercial financing, project financing, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and complex commercial agreements (including outsourcing agreements and service agreements). Nick has experience with transactions in a wide-variety of industries, including health care, financial services, energy, and government contracts.
Prior to joining Crowell & Moring, Nick worked for a large international law firm in New York where he practiced corporate law focusing on mergers and acquisitions and general corporate governance, as well as bankruptcy and insolvency law.
- Represented NRG Yield, Inc. in acquisitions of 1,355MW of gas, wind, and solar generating facilities from NRG Energy Inc. for an aggregate of $829 million in cash plus assumed project debt of $1.4 billion.
- Represented an independent power developer in a $380 million commercial bank financing of a portfolio of operating and construction-stage gas fired generating facilities.
- Represented managed care companies, including Aetna, Cigna, and Health Net in structuring and negotiating pharmacy benefit management agreements.
- Represented Kaman Corporation in connection with the establishment of $0.5 billion Secured Credit Facilities.
- Represented Signature Group Holdings, Inc. in connection with a $305 million senior secured note used to finance Signature's acquisition of the world's largest independent aluminum recycler.
- Represented InfuSystem Holdings Inc. in connection with the refinancing of its $50M credit facility.
- Represented BAE Systems in its sale of its commercial armored vehicle business unit.
- Represented NYSE Amex-listed semiconductor and component manufacturer in $2 million tender offer.
- Represented international car rental company in acquisition of assets of New York-based car sharing company.
- Represented private equity firm in acquisition of network of dermatology centers.
- Represented large shareholder in assuming control of board of directors of NYSE Amex-listed medical parts manufacturer.
Nick received a B.A. in history from Tulane University in 2003. He earned his J.D. from the Fordham University School of Law in 2007, where he was a member of the Urban Law Journal.
Admitted to practice: District of Columbia, New York
American Bar Association
Speeches & Presentations
"Commercial Finance for In-House Counsel and Young Lawyers - The Basics and Beyond," The Association of Commercial Finance Attorneys, New York, NY
Presenters: Scott Lessne and Nicholas James.
Firm News & Announcements