Paolo Cioppa is a counsel in the New York office of Crowell & Moring and a member of the firm's Corporate Group. He concentrates his practice on mergers and acquisitions, capital markets, and project finance transactions by U.S. and non-U.S. companies. Paolo has advised clients on cross-border and domestic mergers, acquisitions, and financing transactions. He represents various non-U.S. companies (including in Spain, Latin America, and Italy) seeking to enter the U.S. markets, access the U.S. securities markets, or to engage in transactions with U.S. companies.
He regularly assists clients in many industries, including financial services, aerospace/defense, consumer/retail, healthcare/life sciences, manufacturing, insurance, mining and natural resources, technology, and telecommunications.
In addition, Paolo has provided extensive FCPA, OFAC, and compliance advice to U.S. persons located in a number of foreign jurisdictions.
Paolo received his J.D., magna cum laude, from the University of Milan, and his LL.M and S.J.D. from the University of California, Berkeley School of Law. Paolo is admitted to the New York and Milan bars and is a member of the New York State Bar Association. Paolo is also a frequent speaker and contributor at various conferences and a lecturer at Fordham School of Law.
He is fluent in Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese and proficient in French.
Recent mergers and acquisitions experience includes:
- Representation of a New York commercial brokerage firm in the disposition of a subsidiary engaged in outpatient and community-based services.
- Representation of a Spanish multinational telecommunication company in the disposition of some of its global assets.
- Representation of a leading U.S.-based private equity fund in its acquisition of an Italian fashion company.
- Representation of a leading Chinese pharmaceutical company in its acquisition of a U.S.-based receptacle product business.
- Representation of an Italian cigar manufacturer in connection with its acquisition of a majority interest in a U.S.-based manufacturing company.
- Representation of one of the largest gaming companies globally in its acquisition of an online gaming company with global operations.
- Representation of one of the largest American telecommunication companies in its acquisition of an operator of television stations in markets across Latin America and Europe.
Recent capital markets experience includes:
- Representation of a travel technology company in its Reg S/Rule 144A initial public offering.
- Representation of the underwriters in one of the largest to date sovereign bond issuances by an African country.
- Representation of an Argentine software developer operating globally in its initial public offering and follow-on offerings.
- Representation of a Spanish infrastructure company in its Reg S/Rule 144A bond offering.
Recent compliance experience includes:
- Representation of one of the largest U.S. retail companies globally in connection with an FCPA investigation and structuring of a compliance program relating to its Brazilian subsidiary.
- Representation of an Italian bank in connection with an OFAC investigation.
Admitted to practice: New York, Milan