Nathaniel P. Bualat is a counsel in Crowell & Moring's San Francisco office and is a member of the firm's Litigation Group. Nate's practice focuses on complex commercial litigation, interference with contract and other business torts, breach of fiduciary duty, health care, pharmaceutical pricing, defamation, trade secret, qui tam, and real estate disputes. He has experience representing a variety of clients, from universities to Fortune 500 companies, in all aspects of litigation, from pre-litigation investigation and counseling through trial and appeal. In the last five years, Nate has had three jury trials go to verdict.
In 2011-2013, Super Lawyers Magazine named Nate a Northern California "Rising Star."
Prior to joining Crowell & Moring, Nate was an associate with the San Francisco firm of Folger Levin & Kahn LLP.
- Represented co-inventor of cancer treatment in three-week jury trial in which plaintiff pharmaceutical company asserted fraud and breach of contract claims, seeking damages exceeding $200 million. Obtained verdict in favor of client on fraud claims and limited breach of contract verdict to $400,000.
- Represented university system in a one-week bench trial regarding potential sublicensing income from a technology license. Obtained judgment in favor of client resulting in it receiving rights to up to an additional $32 million in license income.
- Represented university system in patent license dispute over cancer treatment in which the plaintiff pharmaceutical company sought damages exceeding $200 million. Obtained summary adjudication in favor of client.
- Represented automotive parts manufacturer in arbitration before the International Chamber of Commerce over indemnity claims following the $135 million sale of its structural products division.
- Represented international pharmaceutical company in a three-week jury trial in Texas regarding qui tam claims of alleged false reporting of drug prices.
- Obtained a multimillion dollar jury verdict for international agricultural export company following a one-week trial in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.
- Represented international medical device manufacturer in trade secret, patent, and unfair competition litigation.
- Represented international medical device manufacturer in breach of contract and defective product litigation.
- Represented real estate investment trust in an action regarding the termination of a $20 million real property purchase and sale agreement. The court awarded the trust all of its requested damages, attorneys' fees, and costs after it prevailed (as plaintiff) on two summary judgment motions.
- Represented real estate investment trust in an action seeking specific performance of an agreement for the purchase of a $136 million office complex, in which the trust acquired the office complex for the original purchase price in a settlement.
Admitted to practice: California
Member, California Bar Association, Litigation Section
Member, Bar Association of San Francisco (BASF)
Member, Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM)
Speeches & Presentations
"The Rearview Mirror: Lessons Learned From This Year's Trial Victories," Crowell & Moring Seminar/Webinar
(April 22, 2014).
Presenters: Robert T. Rhoad, Gregory D. Call, Kevin C. Mayer, Linda B. Popejoy, Keith J. Harrison, Brian Tully McLaughlin, Mana Elihu Lombardo, Nathaniel P. Bualat, and Jeffrey H. Rutherford.
Firm News & Announcements