Kelly H. Tsai is a counsel in the New York office of Crowell & Moring and a member of the firm's Insurance/Reinsurance Group. She concentrates her practice in matters relating to insurance and reinsurance dispute resolution, and has also worked with clients in conducting internal investigations and preparing a comprehensive defense and strategy in response to investigations or proceedings brought by government regulators. Kelly represents insurers and reinsurers in coverage disputes involving general liability, product liability, environmental, and professional liability matters. She has handled litigations and arbitrations in both domestic and international proceedings, including before state and federal courts, administrative agencies, and a Bermuda arbitration.
Kelly graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with honors in 1996 (B.A. in economics and political science), where she was a member of Phi Beta Kappa. In 1999, she received her J.D., cum laude, from Cornell Law School, where she was a John M. Olin Foundation Student Scholar in Law and Economics.
- Represented insurance company in international arbitration governed by the Bermuda Arbitration Act of 1986, as amended, where claimant sought coverage under a professional liability insurance company for costs purportedly incurred in connection with governmental investigations and related private lawsuits;
- Defending an insurance group against a Fortune 100 company's claim in New York state court for insurance coverage for the company's alleged asbestos liabilities;
- Defending an insurance company in coverage litigation in New York state court relating to concussion-related lawsuits filed by former football players;
- Defended a French investment and holding company against allegations of fraud arising out of the purchase of a rehabilitated California insurance company;
- Represented insurance companies in trial and appellate courts relating to market conduct class actions alleging fraud, breach of contract, and violations of consumer protection statutes in the sale of insurance policies;
- Represented insurance companies in internal investigations and responding to subpoenas and government inquiries regarding contingent commissions, bid rigging, and other matters.
- Represented utilities company and its directors in class action lawsuit alleging breach of fiduciary duty in connection with merger transaction; and
- Represented putative class challenging federal government's conduct of home raids.
Awards and Recognitions
- 2008-2010 MFY Legal Services Pro Bono Honoree
Admitted to practice: New York, U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit U.S. District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
Firm News & Announcements