Jonathan Lisle is a partner at Crowell & Moring and leads the firm's London Corporate Practice. Jonathan brings extensive experience in cross-border mergers and acquisitions. His practice focuses on general private M&A across all sectors, but he also has particular experience in health care. He was the co-founder of CMS Cameron McKenna's health care group in 2006 and was the EMA head of health care at DLA Piper in 2011-2015.
Jonathan has acted on corporate transactions with deal values up to £10 billion (the largest being a bid for British Energy plc). His clients have included GE Capital (including the sale of the TIP Trailer business across 16 jurisdictions), GE Healthcare, Fidelity, Lebara Mobile, Senior plc, Renova Group, TIP Trailers, HNA Group, John Laing plc (on its £1 billion takeover by Henderson), ITE Group plc, Takeda Pharmaceuticals, Royal Bank of Scotland plc, HSBC, VT Group plc, National Australia Bank, and Survitec Group. He has advised on over 30 health care transactions, including for General Healthcare Group, Spire Healthcare, Ramsay Health Care UK, Nuffield Health, The Priory Group, LGV Capital, and Sovereign Capital.
- Sale of TIP Trailer Group by GE Capital to HNA Group (16 countries)
- Sale of Breas Group (sleep assistance devices) by GE Healthcare (7 countries)
- A confidential cross-border disposal by GE Capital (current)
- Confidential corporate litigation for GE Healthcare (current)
- Acquisition of Lexum Group (eye clinic business across 4 jurisdictions)
- Various bids for healthcare businesses
HNA Group/TIP Trailers
- Two confidential UK acquisitions (current)
- On-going support on various commercial and compliance matters
- Acquisition of Lymington Precision Engineers
- Acquisition of Thermal Engineering
- Acquisition of Atlas Composites
- Sale of Senior Hargreaves
- Various internal re-organisations
- Sale of Swiss business
- Confidential due diligence exercise (across 7 jurisdictions)
- Various aborted cross-border acquisitions
- Sale of Natur Produkt Group (OTC pharmaceuticals) to Valeant Pharmaceuticals for $185m (across 7 countries)
- A confidential complex shareholder disputes
Columbia Pacific Capital Management
- A complex real estate joint venture.
- Acquisition of Survival Craft Inspectorate Limited
- Project Hills (current)
The Priory Group
- Various joint ventures with NHS Trusts
- A confidential M&A transaction (£50-60m) (current)
- Part time secondment (two days per week 12/14 - 2/15)
Brook Henderson Group
- Sale of Asteral Limited (managed services for NHS MRI scanners) to Permira
- Various aborted bids for hospitals and advice on commercial contracts.
- General Healthcare Group
- Various confidential M&A transactions (inc. in the fertility sector) and advice on commercial contracts.
Other General Private M&A Transactions
- RBS on the disposal of Marriott hotels for £1 billion;
- Takeda Pharmaceuticals a confidential £1 billion bid across 15 jurisdictions (aborted);
- Hain Celestial on the acquisition of S Daniels plc for $230m;
- UGI on the acquisition of an oil and gas business from Shell for £110m;
- Dyson Group plc on the disposal of Saffill for £72m;
- National Australia Bank on the conversion of US$1 billion of capital securities;
- VT Group Plc on several transactions including the acquisition of a vehicle solutions business from Aviva plc for £80m; disposal of a software business; the acquisition of British Nuclear Fuels Project Services Limited and various commercial contract matters (including disputes);
- Macquarie on several transactions including its c.£1 billion bid for St Petersburg Airport and the sale of a self-storage group (across three jurisdictions); and
- the sellers of Weston EU Limited to Senior plc for £54m.
Health Care Transactions
- Jonathan has advised on 30-plus corporate matters in the healthcare sector including advising:
- Nuffield Health on several transactions including the disposal of 9 hospitals to GHG for £140m and the disposal of Vanguard to MML Capital for £33m;
- Ramsay Health Care UK on its bid for Hinchinbrooke NHS Hospital, the acquisition of a private hospital (aborted) and a group re-organisation;
- Sovereign Capital on the acquisition of several fostering businesses;
- Partnerships in Care on a confidential M&A transaction;
- Lyceum Capital on a confidential M&A transaction;
- Greenhill on various healthcare bids;
- A group of GPs on a complex joint venture for the redevelopment of Surbiton Hospital;
- CSAM Health on various commercial projects; and
- LGV Capital on several transactions including the acquisition of 9 BUPA hospitals for £80m.
- John Laing Plc on its £1 billion takeover by Henderson;
- Vattenfall AG on its £10 billion consortium bid for British Energy plc (aborted);
- Galliford Try Plc on the takeover of Linden Holmes plc for £244.5m;
- Software Radio Technology Plc on its IPO; and
- Platinum Mining Corporation of India Plc on its IPO.
Jonathan has previously been recognized as "a rising star ... strong and commercially focused" (Legal 500 2010 ed.).
Recent client feedback includes:
"Jonathan is a lawyer of the highest calibre whilst also being pragmatic, sensible and a pleasure to deal with. He leads from the front and should be seen as a talisman within the firm’s practice." GC of Fortune 100 company
"Excellent responsiveness to client needs. Very proactive with excellent commercial acumen. Strong at handling other stakeholders and steering them to agreement on difficult issues. Good fun to work with, always positive even when encountering troublesome areas." GC and BD Director of pan-European business
"Jonathan scores 10/10 for every area of client service. He is unbelievably accessible and is quick to focus on the main points and leave the things that could be handled between the attorneys off the review points. He has great grasps of the legal issues and the law and industry practices." GC of real estate investment fund
"Highly proactive and energetic on our behalf, and instrumental in negotiating a favourable position for us in a number of tricky areas.” FD of FTSE 250 company
Admitted to practice: Solicitor, England and Wales in 2000
In the News
Firm News & Announcements