Jim Janaitis is a counsel with the Aviation and Corporate groups in Crowell & Moring’s Washington, D.C. office. His practice focuses on helping business aviation clients of all sizes and mission profiles navigate a variety of transactions and the complex regulatory challenges that come with owning, operating, and chartering aircraft. He has extensive experience in partnering with businesses and individuals in the sale, purchase, leasing, and financing of both new and used business aircraft and implementing ownership and operational structures that meet the client’s goals.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Jim had experience working with the Federal Aviation Administration's legal department and a corporate aviation consulting firm. He has also worked in the safety department of two national airlines and has a private pilot's license with an instrument rating.
- Assisted clients with aviation, import/export, secured asset, and tax issues for operating and financing leases and purchase and sale agreements for aircraft in various international locations, including Argentina, Australia, Bahrain, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Denmark, England, France, Greenland, India, Indonesia, Italy, Malaysia, Mexico, Myanmar, Netherlands, Norway, Papua New Guinea, Peru, the Philippines, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Thailand, Trinidad, and Turkey.
- Represented many domestic flight departments and individuals as primary aviation counsel for aircraft purchases, sales, leases, and regulatory compliance.
- Acted as primary aviation counsel in negotiating and drafting a $350 million credit facility, including conducting title searches, resolving title issues, and preparing necessary filings for over 150 financed aircraft.
- Partnered with clients to analyze and implement a variety of structures for owning, leasing, or chartering corporate aircraft.
- Represented multiple aircraft component manufacturers and repair and completion facilities in the sale of their products and services.
Admitted to practice: District of Columbia, Tennessee
Professional Honors & Activities
- Listed in Mid-South Rising Stars, 2013
- Named "Top 40 Under 40" by the Tri-Cities Business Journal, 2013
- Recipient – Pro Bono Attorney of the Year, Legal Aid of East Tennessee, 2012
- Legal Aid of East Tennessee – Honor Roll Recipient on various occasions
- Keith J. Schapiro Business Bankruptcy Writing Award
- American Bar Association
- Forum Committee on Air and Space Law
Speeches & Presentations
"Legal Issues for Entrepreneurs," AccelNow Boot Camp, Johnson City, TN
Speaker: James Janaitis.
Firm News & Announcements