Colin Proksel is an associate in Crowell & Moring’s Orange County office and a litigator in the firm’s Litigation Group. He is experienced in litigation, including class actions, arbitration, mediation, and appeals. Colin has represented clients in several prominent commercial disputes and at all stages of litigation—from pre-suit to post-trial and appeal—in state and federal court. In particular, he has a deep background in arbitration and insurance and reinsurance matters.
Prior to joining Crowell & Moring, Colin served as a law clerk to the late Honorable Arthur L. Alarcón on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and by designation in the Sixth and Eleventh Circuits. He was also a litigation associate at two major law firms in Chicago and New York, including Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP.
Colin earned his law degree with distinction from the University of Iowa College of Law, where he was the managing editor of the Iowa Law Review. He earned his M.A. in public policy and administration and his B.A. in American studies and political science at Northwestern University. He was elected to Phi Beta Kappa and graduated cum laude with departmental honors in American studies.
- Obtained partial summary judgment on behalf of insurer regarding trigger of coverage concerning allegations of sexual abuse and personal injury. Whalen, et al. v. Catholic Mutual Relief Society of America, Inc., et al., Case No. DDV-2012-976 (Mont. Dist. Ct. 2013).
- Obtained denial of motion for contempt on behalf of insurer for alleged failure to comply with arbitration award. Arrowood Indemnity Co. v. Trustmark Ins. Co., 938 F. Supp. 2d 267 (D. Conn. 2013), aff’d, 560 Fed. App’x 75 (2d Cir. 2014).
- Obtained favorable commutation for excess insurer in confidential arbitration over insurance program cover.
- Obtained favorable commutation for reinsurer in confidential arbitration over disputed cover.
- Represented plaintiff reinsurer in fraud suit regarding concealment of evidence material to an adverse arbitration award in federal court.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of defendant reinsurer and successfully opposed cross-motion for summary judgment in action for breach of contract. Clarendon National Ins. Co. et al. v. Trustmark Ins. Co., Case No. 09-cv-9896 (S.D.N.Y. 2012).
- Obtained favorable arbitration award for reinsurer in confidential arbitration over cession collection.
- Represented plaintiff insurer in action to disqualify arbitrator and for preliminary injunction in federal court.
- Obtained confirmation of arbitration award on behalf of insurer and successfully opposed obstructive cross-petition to confirm. Trustmark Ins. Co. v. Clarendon National Ins. Co. et al., Case No. 09-cv-1673 (N.D. Ill. 2009).
- Defended fuel-system company in action for breach of contract and for declaratory judgment in federal court.
Admitted to practice: California, Illinois, New York, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California, U.S. District Court for the Central District of California, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd, 6th, 7th, 9th, and 11th Circuits