Clare Smith is a consultant who works with Crowell & Moring lawyers to provide services to clients of the firm. She is an experienced corporate tax lawyer who has substantial and diverse experience of tax matters gained both within law and accounting practices. Her practice focuses on U.K. taxation, including the interaction of U.K. and foreign taxes. Clare handles all areas of corporate taxation, both structural and transactional, and the associated personal tax issues together with tax-efficient employee incentive schemes. In addition, Clare advises upon indirect tax matters.
With just under 20 years' tax experience, Clare has developed particular knowledge in the following industry sectors:
- Automotive – advising on significant divestures and joint ventures.
- Banking/finance – advising on the taxation aspects of U.K. securitization vehicles for use by the banking and automotive industries.
- Consumer/industrial products – reviewing large industrial corporate structures to ensure the group holding structure is tax efficient and satisfies U.K. tax legislation including carrying out controlled foreign company reviews.
- Property – advising on and implementing tax efficient holding structures forcommercial property and advising on significant M&A transactions.
- Retail – advising on significant divestures and tax efficient exits.