Amy Sandra Lee is a counsel in the White Collar & Regulatory Enforcement Group at Crowell & Moring's Washington, D.C. office. Her practice includes counseling and representing individuals and organizations faced with regulatory, compliance, arbitration, litigation, or related criminal and civil matters. She has defended clients under investigation for or charged with violations of business fraud, bribery, conspiracy, criminal environmental infractions, securities fraud, health care fraud, false statements, mine safety violations, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, the False Claims Act, and criminal conflict of interests statutes. Amy also litigates and arbitrates health care contract disputes, ERISA matters, benefit claim disputes, and mental health proceedings. She has experience in all aspects of litigation, including trials, sentencing hearings and appeals, has briefed cases at the state and federal levels, and has argued many matters before the D.C. Superior Court.
Amy's recent representative cases include:
- Defense of private company and individual in federal grand jury investigation and parallel civil litigation alleging fraud, bribery and conspiracy violations relating to certain government contracts.
- Defense of individual in investigation by federal prosecutors and parallel civil litigation alleging bribery, RICO, and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act violations.
- Defense of consulting firm in criminal proceedings alleging criminal conflict of interest and ethics violations, resulting in non-prosecution agreement.
- Defense of a major private energy corporation in parallel investigations by federal prosecutors, regulators, and multiple congressional committees.
- Defense of individual charged with federal felony environmental crimes.
- Representation of health insurer in contract disputes with hospitals.
- Representation of hospital at civil commitment hearings.
In addition, Amy has an active pro bono practice, focused on providing legal services to the homeless and in Social Security disability hearings. In 2011, Amy was selected to participate in the Crowell & Moring Loaned Associate Program, which involved her spending six months at the Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia representing tenants in eviction actions.
Amy holds a B.S. from Cornell University and earned her J.D. from the University of Maryland School of Law. While in law school, Amy served as a teaching fellow and was a notes and comments editor and member of the Maryland Law Review.
Prior to attending law school, Amy was a legislative assistant for a U.S. congressman, with a primary focus on Medicare, Social Security, judiciary, and food safety issues.
Amy is a member of the Asian Pacific American Bar Association and the American Bar Association.
Admitted to practice: District of Columbia
"Employee’s Acceptance of Gratuities Subjects Company to Heightened Liability Under Anti-Kickback Act ," Crowell & Moring's Government Contracts Legal Forum
(February 7, 2017).
Authors: Amy S. Lee, Patrick S. Brown, Peter J. Eyre, David B. Robbins, Stephen M. Byers and Alan W. H. Gourley.
"Regulatory Forecast 2016: What Corporate Counsel Need to Know for the Coming Year," a Crowell & Moring LLP publication
"White Collar — Investigator, Judge and Enforcer," Crowell & Moring's Regulatory Forecast 2016
Contributors: Jeffrey H. Rutherford, Janet Levine, Amy Sandra Lee, and Alan W. H. Gourley.
"Federal Health Programs and Managed Care Litigation," Managed Care Litigation 2009 Cumulative Supplement, BNA Books
Co-Authors: Arthur N. Lerner and Amy Sandra Lee.
"The False Claims Act Correction Act: Key Provisions and Implications," Payors, Plans & Managed Care, AHLA, Vol. 12, Issue 1
Co-Authors: Chris Flynn, David W. O'Brien, Michael W. Paddock and Amy S. Lee.
Ross v. State Board of Elections - Misapplication of "Inextricably Intertwined" Standard Expands the Appellate Court Standard of Review to Consider Grounds Not Relied on by the Circuit Court When Granting Summary Judgment, 65 Md. L. Rev. 908
Author: Amy Sandra Lee.
Client Alerts & Newsletters
In the News
Firm News & Announcements