The lawyers of Crowell & Moring's White Collar & Regulatory Enforcement Group have extensive experience defending the integrity of public officials and private citizens against government claims of official misconduct and public corruption. Public corruption involves a breach of public trust and spans an array of conduct, including kickbacks, bribery, fraud, conflict of interest, extortion, and embezzlement. Public corruption extends beyond elected officials to include appointed officials, public employees, and even private citizens who allegedly facilitated public corruption.
- Represented a Member of Congress who was a target in a federal investigation that resulted in the convictions of another Member of Congress, a high ranking congressional Staffer and a lobbyist. Our client was not charged.
- Represented an accused double-agent in a highly publicized espionage case, in which we secured the dismissal of all charges based on prosecutorial misconduct, and negotiated a global resolution of all criminal and tax matters and the return of most of the client's seized assets
- Defended a former lobbyist in criminal and congressional investigations relating to his role as a member of "Team Abramoff," enabling the client to avoid any criminal or civil charges
- Represented a private individual in an alleged bribery and tax fraud scheme involving the director of purchasing for a state prison system
- Represented a charter school founder and executive director on charges of misappropriation of public funds, embezzlement, tax fraud, and conflict of interest
- Defended a Los Angeles County deputy sheriff against allegations that he skimmed money seized in drug cases, achieving a not-guilty verdict in the federal court trial
- Represented an affordable-housing real estate developer against allegations that he bribed county officials in order to secure the substantial settlement of his lawsuit against the county