Recent statutory and regulatory changes, as well as economic and business factors, have led to the increasing prominence of employee benefits in the health care context. At Crowell & Moring, we provide in-depth counseling to insurance companies, managed care organizations, third-party administrators, industry groups, and plan sponsors regarding a wide range of employee benefits matters in connection with health and welfare plans.
We provide fine-tuned counsel to clients on everyday health and welfare benefits design and compliance issues. In addition, we pride ourselves on our leading-edge experience regarding the interpretation, application, and implementation of health reform, or the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA).
Our lawyers routinely speak and write in various forums about emerging issues in connection with the PPACA. We have counseled numerous clients on how best to implement (or, to the extent possible, on how to minimize the applicability of) numerous PPACA provisions, including the annual fee on health insurance issuers and the transitional reinsurance fee. In addition, we have authored many comment letters to regulators on behalf of our clients regarding the PPACA, and have met with regulators and testified before congressional committees regarding PPACA guidance.
Our lawyers routinely provide counseling to clients regarding the following:
- Health and welfare plan design and implementation
- Health and welfare plan administration and compliance
- Interpretation, application, and implementation of the PPACA
- Federal tax issues in connection with health and welfare plans, ERISA matters such as reporting and disclosure requirements, and fiduciary liability
- Retiree medical arrangements
- Health and welfare plan financing tools, including voluntary employees’ beneficiary associations (VEBAs)
- Cafeteria plans, health flexible savings accounts (health FSAs), health reimbursement arrangements (HRAs), and health savings accounts (HSAs)
- Multiple employer welfare arrangements (MEWAs)
- Implementation of ERISA benefit claims and appeals procedures
- Evaluation of claims for benefits and appeals of claim denials
- ERISA litigation matters
Click to learn more about Crowell & Moring's ERISA & Employee Benefits Practice.