Our European IP practice provides a full array of intellectual property legal services to assist companies in obtaining, managing, and enforcing intellectual property rights.
We have extensive experience in conducting national and cross-border design, copyright, trademark, and domain counseling and litigation/arbitration. We work with leading European, Benelux, and national trademark agents for filing, prosecution, and other registration matters. Key services include the following:
- Overall IP strategic advice
- IP audits and due diligence
- Copyright litigation (databases, software, entertainment industry, etc.)
- Trademark litigation (oppositions at national and OHIM level, invalidity and infringements actions, parallel imports, etc.)
- Domain name and domain litigation (national courts, WIPO, etc.)
- Design right litigation
- Unfair competition and advertising litigation (misleading and comparative advertising, price discounts, sales below costs, quantitative promotions, premiums, tied-in-sales, vouchers, lotteries, sweepstakes, etc.)
- Commercial advice
- Commercial agreements
Our European practice can also provide a full range of legal services relating to the protection, exploitation, and litigation of patents and know-how. We have handled a wide range of disputes involving highly complex scientific and engineering issues, for example, in the biotech, chemical and life sciences industry. In particular, we have extensive experience with planning and running patent disputes in Europe. Key services include the following:
- Advice on patentability and patent filing strategies
- Advice on (inter)national litigation strategies, including cross-border injunctions
- Coordination of international disputes, often on a pan-European basis, in cooperation with multinational litigation teams
- National and multinational patent litigation, including nullity actions and actions for declarations of non-infringement
- Interlocutory injunctions and ex parte proceedings for evidence gathering
- Supplementary Protection Certificate counseling and litigation
- Drafting commercial agreements, including development, joint venture, manufacturing, distribution, and licensing agreements
- Drafting confidentiality clauses and non-disclosure agreements
Our European IP lawyers also have considerable experience combating counterfeit goods and piracy. We can file criminal complaints with the appropriate judicial authorities and requests for suspensive measures with customs authorities, and take all necessary steps for the tracing, seizing, storing, transport, and destruction of counterfeit goods. Our experience further enables us to provide insightful and practical counseling on the European regulatory initiatives with respect to the fight against counterfeiting and piracy.
The IP practice of the Brussels office is recognized as a leading practice. A recent selection of nominations includes Chambers Europe 2011 (Band 2), Legal 500 EMEA 2011 (Tier 2), PLC Which lawyer? Yearbook 2011 (Highly Recommended), The International Who's Who Legal of 2011 (Internet & e-Commerce, Life Sciences and Patents), and the Expert Guide to the World's Leading Patent Law Practitioners 2010.