Crowell & Moring offers our clients distinctive legal and advisory assistance as they open operations overseas, navigate cross-border transactions, and seek multijurisdictional regulatory approvals for new or expanded businesses. Our model is unique: we combine our insurance and international trade legal knowledge with the decades of experience resident in our affiliated international policy and regulatory affairs consulting firm, C&M International. The result is an ability to deal with issues in real time based on realistic assessments of risk and reward, timing to completion, and local custom and practice. This collective advisory capability also entails a worldwide network of local law firms and advisors with proven records of success.
Established more than 25 years ago, C&M International helps companies and the industry associations that represent them create the political and regulatory conditions that maximize commercial success. Our team includes more than a dozen senior policy professionals and trade negotiators with decades of experience helping clients at home and abroad break down international barriers and resolve challenges posed by agencies, officials, and politicians. We help Fortune 100 corporations and other multinational enterprises gain access to foreign governments, navigate ministries and agencies, seek and obtain licenses to operate, and influence policy and legislation worldwide.
Our directors and consultants have worked at the top levels of government—including service on the White House Council of Economic Advisors in the United States, with the office of the U.S. Trade Representative, and at the U.S. Department of State, U.S. Department of Commerce, and U.S. Patent & Trademark Office—and in appointments as senior trade officials and negotiators for the governments of Australia and New Zealand, among other positions of leadership.
On the largest-scale issues, our professionals have played roles in the creation of virtually every major international trade agreement between the United States and the countries and markets of the Asia-Pacific region, Europe, South America, the Middle East, and Africa. We have extensive personal contacts in Washington, D.C., trade policy circles, at trade and foreign ministries across the globe, and in major international trade organizations, including the World Trade Organization (WTO), the World Health Organization (WHO), the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) forum, and the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). This broad experience informs our judgment about what it takes for companies to navigate regulatory complexity and achieve the outcomes they want, be it an operating license or the resolution of a regulatory obstacle. For every engagement, we ask a simple question: "What is the fastest, best way to achieve the results our clients want?" With that information, we regularly help companies and organizations:
- Understand and enter new markets.
- Shape policy and regulation in markets, countries, regions, and internationally.
- Resolve problems, disputes, and other challenges involved in doing business internationally.
- Realize trade-related cost savings.
C&M International's political and regulatory experience dovetails with Crowell & Moring's international trade legal practice, which provides practical, sophisticated advice and cross-disciplinary counsel. Chambers Europe, Chambers USA, Legal 500, The World's Leading Lawyers Guide, and Best Lawyers have all ranked the firm among the top international trade practices for export control, trade litigation matters (including antidumping, countervailing/antisubsidy, and safeguard matters), and customs. In a recent editorial describing its selection rationale, Chambers Global noted that "sources applaud the quality of [the firm's] expertise."
With experienced lawyers practicing in the firm's Washington, D.C., Brussels, London, New York, and California offices, we are well positioned to provide dispute resolution and litigation counsel on emerging trade issues worldwide. Working with C&M International, we also help facilitate communications with national governments and international trade agencies across North America, Latin America, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East.
Our lawyers counsel clients on licensing requirements, perform internal investigations, assist with voluntary disclosures, and design and implement compliance programs. We also represent clients in civil and criminal enforcement proceedings, prepare license and agreement applications, and provide training on a variety of issues arising out of international trade and operations. We act for national governments, trade associations, and corporate clients on trade remedy matters, giving us a particular understanding of the challenges faced by all parties to a trade dispute.
All of this is coupled with the insurance experience of our insurance and reinsurance groups to assure that we provide integrated and sound advice across the board. We understand the business of insurance as well as the regulation of trade. Whenever necessary, we work with a network of local contacts and advisors around the world, one that we have compiled through decades of working in the international field.
- Corporate Citizenship and Migration. Our lawyers have advised major multinationals concerning corporate residency implications and political/legal stability as well as related tax issues. We have coordinated the redomestication of a major international insurer from the Cayman Islands to Switzerland and are quite familiar with the legal and regulatory requirements associated with different jurisdictions' residency and taxation requirements with regard to the corporation itself and senior management as well.
- New Countries; New Products. Our lawyers and professionals regularly counsel clients about international expansion across many industries, and we have helped to open new operations in developing countries, as well as new or expanded product lines, for the insurance industry in particular. Our capabilities include senior international trade advisors at the highest levels as well as the former general counsel of one of the largest international property-casualty and life insurers with operations in more than 50 countries.
- Compliance and Regulatory Dispute Resolution. Taken together, our C&M International professionals, our international trade lawyers, and our insurance litigators have handled most of the species of significant regulatory compliance that face insurers around the world. We have experience and capability in efforts to prevent such controversies via sound and efficient compliance programs. And we have the ability, with local partners, to litigate them aggressively as needed.