Crowell & Moring's Tax practice represents health care industry clients with respect to federal and state tax matters in business transactions, controversies, and litigation. Our practice encompasses all U.S. tax aspects of business dealings and all administrative and litigation forums.
We have extensive experience advising charitable and social welfare health care organizations that are recognized as tax-exempt under Code section 501(c)(3) or 501(c)(4) on whether proposed activities are consistent with their exempt status; unrelated business income issues, and issues arising from participation in partnerships, LLCs, and joint ventures. We also provide counseling on application of Code section 501(m) and a range of issues affecting trade and professional associations exempt under Code section 501(c)(6).
In the transactional area, we counsel health care organizations on the tax aspects of mergers, stock and asset acquisitions, joint ventures, and debt and equity financings. We have drafted numerous executive compensation arrangements, including option and stock plans, for health care clients, and advise on the application of Code section 162(m)(6). We also work with clients on state tax law matters, including, when applicable, federal preemption of state tax obligations.
We also have extensive experience advising our health care industry clients on all aspects of ERISA and the Affordable Care Act (ACA), including the complex compliance and reporting requirements under Code section 4980H (also known as employer shared responsibility or "pay or play") as well as the evolving and developing issues under the ACA's Cadillac Tax and the insurance provider tax.
Recent engagements for health care clients include:
- Managed care organization in developing tax-qualified travel reimbursement program for employees.
- Tax-exempt health plan in connection with tax consequences of joint marketing agreement.
- For-profit health plans and other health care delivery entities in structuring joint ventures with tax-exempt entities.
- Integrated delivery network in consideration of application for tax-exempt status.
- Hospice in structuring compensation arrangements to doctors.
- Joint venture HMO in potential restructuring in connection with Affordable Care Act and tax exemption issues.
- University health system in creation of new fund entities to invest corporate and pension assets.
- Private equity sponsor in connection with its acquisition of several dermatology businesses.
- Health insurance issuer in resolving Code section 4980H compliance issues, including tax reporting and employee classification issues.
Please click here for our Tax Group overview.