Saudi Arabia to Open Stock Market to Foreign Financial Institutions – QFIs Rules Issued
On July 22, 2014, the Saudi Arabian Capital Market Authority (CMA) announced that qualified foreign financial institutions (QFIs) would be permitted to buy and sell stocks listed on the Saudi stock market in accordance with rules to be adopted by the CMA. The CMA subsequently released its Draft Rules for Qualified Foreign Financial Institutions' Investment in Listed Shares (the Draft Rules) and solicited opinions and suggestions from investors and other interested parties on the Draft Rules.
On April 16, 2015, the CMA announced that it had adopted the following timeline to permit foreign financial institutions to buy and sell stocks listed on the Saudi stock market:
- Final Rules will be approved and published on 15/7/1436H (corresponding to May 4, 2015G);
- The Final Rules will be effective starting from 14/8/1436H (corresponding to June 1, 2015G); and
- QFIs shall be allowed to invest in listed shares starting from 28/8/1436H (corresponding to June 15, 2015G).
On May 4, 2015, the CMA issued its resolution Number 1-42-2015:
- Adopting the Rules for Qualified Foreign Financial Institutions Investment in Listed Shares (the QFIs Rules); and
- Adopting the following forms:
(a) Qualified Foreign Investor Application for Registration Form.
(b) Qualified Foreign Investor Client Application for Approval Form.
(c) The Minimum Requirements that must be included in the QFI Assessment Agreement Form as per Article 12 of the QFIs Rules.
(d) The Assessing Authorized Person's Acceptance Determination Template (to Register a QFI or to Approve a QFI Client).
(e) The Assessing Authorized Person's Rejection Determination Template (to Register QFI or to Approve QFI Client).
For more information, please contact the professional(s) listed below, or your regular Crowell & Moring contact.