Michael Kahn is senior counsel at Crowell & Moring and is a member of the Commercial Litigation Group. Mr. Kahn's practice involves federal and state court proceedings throughout the United States. He has tried over twenty cases to verdict with a success rate of over ninety percent. He has also argued over a dozen appeals in State Supreme Court and Federal and State Courts of Appeal and has arbitrated over a dozen cases to decision (with over a 90 percent success rate).
Mr. Kahn has been involved in numerous landmark cases including PeopleSoft v. Oracle in which he represented PeopleSoft; U.S. v. Stringfellow in which he was lead trial counsel and City of Atascadero v. Merrill Lynch in which he represented the "Killer Bs." He was appointed by the California Supreme Court to represent the defendants in a landmark search and seizure case and a death penalty case.
Prior to joining Crowell & Moring, Mr. Kahn was a senior counsel at the San Francisco firm of Folger Levin & Kahn LLP.
Government Appointment Roles and Representative Matters
- Member and Committee Chairman: Advisory Group, Civil Justice Reform Act of 1990, United States District Court for the Northern District of California, 1990-1994.
- Commissioner: State Senate Commission on Property Tax Equity and Revenue, 1990.
- Member: California State Insurance Commissioner Task Force on Insurance Industry Practices; Chairman: Unfair Practices Committee, 1991-1994.
- Member: Northern District of California Masters' Committee of the Task Force on Expedition of Dispute Resolution, 1982-1988.
- Member: California State Insurance Commissioner Task Force on Environmental Liability Insurance, 1993-1994.
- Evaluator: Early Neutral Evaluator for the United States District Court, Northern District of California, 1990-2002.
- Arbitrator: San Francisco County Superior Court, 1981-.
- Member: Senator Boxer Judicial Advisory Committee, Northern District of California, 1995-1998.
- Chair: California State Commission on Judicial Performance, 2000; Vice Chair, 1999; Member, 1999-.
- Member: Bay Area Judicial Selection Advisory Committee, 1999-.
- Chair: California Electricity Oversight Board, 2000-2001.
- Chair: California Green Team, 2001.
- Member: California Electrical Operation and Maintenance Board, 2002-2004.
- Trustee: Gray Davis Papers.
- Chair: California ISO Board of Governors, 2001-2005.
- Mr. Kahn has been involved in the screening and selection of candidates for the Bench for two California Governors and one U.S. Senator.