Joel Wheeler is a partner in Crowell & Moring's London office. He advises on a wide range of corporate (and associated commercial) matters, including public and private mergers and acquisitions (both general and insurance sector-related), private equity transactions, debt and equity capital market offerings and corporate restructurings. Joel has advised on a large number of cross-border transactions, including most recently in the US, Germany, Spain, Denmark, Russia, Ukraine, Hong Kong, China, Taiwan and The Philippines.
Representative transactions include:
- Acting for Meinl Bank A.G. on the corporate and management restructuring of Atrium European Real Estate Limited;
- Acting for Clayton, Dubilier & Rice on its £417m acquisition of the Bodycote Testing Group;
- Acting for Clayton, Dubilier & Rice on the recapitalisation and subsequent £1 billion+ sale of Brake Bros;
- Acting for GoshawK Insurance Holdings plc on its rescue rights issue and subsequent takeover by the Enstar Group;
- Acting for the DTI on the restructuring of British Energy plc;
- Acting for Groupe Auchan in relation to a complex Ukrainian joint venture;
- Acting for the vendors on the sale of Lombard International Assurance;
- Acting for Allianz Cornhill on the disposal of its UK life assurance business and Merchant Investors Assurance;
- Acting for Hong Kong's MTR plc on various public debt offerings.
Admitted to practice: England and Wales
Client Alerts & Newsletters
"Regulatory Reform of the UK Financial Services Industry,"
Financial Services Alert
(April 3, 2013).
Contacts: Joel Wheeler, Timothy Leeson, David Willbe.
"Saudi Shoura Council Approves Draft Amended Anti-Money Laundering Law,"
(March 1, 2012).
Contacts: Morris F. DeFeo Jr., Joel Wheeler, John Beaumont.
"How to Squeeze Blood from a Stone: D&O Insurance and Insolvency,"
Financial Lines/Directors & Officers/Management Liability Alert
(February 18, 2010).
Contacts: Timothy Leeson, Joel Wheeler.
Firm News & Announcements